Workshop: Fundamentals of API Design
Our interactive workshop covers web API fundamentals, including the business and technical cases for building and consuming web-based APIs. The workshop explains the techniques business leaders, managers, and developers need to successfully understand, plan, and design a great API for web and mobile applications.
Attendees will learn to model and design a modern web-based API for private, partner, or public use.
The workshop covers:
- API fundamentals, including why they are important
- Business cases for and examples of successful API strategies
- REST API fundamentals and details
- API testing strategies
- Microservices fundamentals, including how to use them in combination with APIs
After completing the workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Design an API that developers will love
- Apply team-based API modeling and design that involves everyone, from managers to developers
- Properly document an API
The training is progressive: exercises build on previous work, so it’s important for all participants to attend the entire workshop.
The pace is rapid, with substantial time dedicated to group discussion and assignments. It is best to avoid assigning additional duties to participants during the workshop period.
1 or 2 days, depending on team size and desired content
- Master web API fundamentals
- Design REST APIs that provide business value through cross-functional team design techniques
- Project managers
- Product owners
- Scrum Masters
- Technical Writers
- Anyone who will participate in, contribute to, manage, or otherwise support an API program
No current or prior software development skills are necessary. All exercises will be performed in groups, will involve all aspects of the software development life cycle, and will not require writing code.
- Understanding APIs
- Principles of Modern Web APIs
- Thinking in Resources
- What Makes a Great API?
- Modeling APIs
- From Modeling to API Design
Day 2 (Optional)
- Hands-on REST: Consuming APIs
- Patterns for Third-party API Integration
- API Documentation and Testing (half-day)
- Using OpenAPI (aka Swagger) to Document Your API
- Designing an Effective Developer Portal
- API Testing Strategies
- Introduction to Microservices
“Lessons From Training 1400+ People in Web API Design”: Insights from the first 2 years of our API training workshop.
Request a Quote for Your Next API Workshop
Phone: (512) 537-8493